From boring to attractive: Hanuma Vihari makes a statement

Published on: Friday 31 October 2014 //

Vihari didn’t play the semifinal against East Zone and found a spot only after four South players left for India ‘A’ duty. (Source: PTI) Vihari didn’t play the semifinal against East Zone and found a spot only after four South players left for India ‘A’ duty. (Source: PTI)

Seventeen innings, 241 runs at a strike-rate of 86.69 and only one, yes one, hit over the fence in the 2013 edition of the Indian Premier League helped Hanuma Vihari earn the tag of a ‘boring and slow cricketer for the shorter format of the game’.


What next? He returns to the domestic circuit, smashes 841 runs at a staggering average of 93.94, ends seventh on the list of the highest run-getters in the 2013 Ranji Trophy, but fails to find a buyer in the IPL 2014.


Disappointed, not hurt, Vihari wasted very little time and signed up with the Hutton CC to play in the Essex County League in England. A lean 21-year-old left the country with the ‘boring’ tag only to return with invaluable experience and a big accomplishment against his name. The record for most runs for the 150-year-old club in a season. The compact right-hander smashed a mammoth 1,007 runs in the 16 games he played and eclipsed the previous record of 940 runs.


“It was a very different experience. I knew it won’t count for anything but I went there for my career, and experience. I knew I lost something here. I had a U-23 national camp but still I think it (going to England) was an important move,” says Vihari who played in testing English conditions for four months.


A different Vihari was on exhibition when he dispatched the Central Zone bowlers to all parts of the park during the ongoing Duleep Trophy final. It was a pleasant surprise to see the right-hander break the shackles and take the attack to the opposition. Off the mark with a four off his pads, Vihari went on to hit nine more and cleared the ropes convincingly on two occasions during his 97-ball 75.


Unbeaten on 38 at the end of day’s play on Thursday, the Hyderabad middle-order batsman showed more intent in the morning session of the third day. After reaching his 8th first-class fifty, Vihari played the shot of the day. He charged Chawla, reached the pitch of the ball and launched the leggie straight and big. Vihari was cruising in the middle, but the right-hander tried one shot too many and dragged one back on to his stumps while attempting a wild slog off Ali Murtaza’s bowling. A disappointed smash of the bat to the pad, and he made the long walk back to the pavilion. A good 20 or 30 more would have made it a job well done? Vihari feels otherwise.


“I’m not disappointed with the way I got out today. I would have been disappointed getting out in 70s or 80s last year because such shots were not in my game plan. But the type of cricket I played today, I want to continue with it.


“This season I have planned myself to be an attacking player, and being consistent at the same time. I want to play attractive rather than boring cricket. That’s my natural game to be honest. I was curbing my natural game to score runs. I want to be natural and at the same time stay for a longer duration at the wicket,” reveals Vihari.


Vihari didn’t play the semifinal against East Zone and found a spot only after four South players left for India ‘A’ duty. While a good performance to impress the selectors ahead of India’s tour of Australia was on every player’s mind, the youngster was not sailing in the same boat.


“There is no pressure on me because I have nothing to lose and no one expects me to score runs. That’s why I didn’t play in the last game. I played this game, was batting at 6 so I thought to go out and express myself. Just show what I am capable of,” says Vihari.


Even after ticking all boxes in domestic competitions, Vihari is yet to feature in any India ‘A’ squad but is determined to keep performing on a consistent basis.


“Nobody recognizes. Stats show that I have the highest average in the country. In India the competition is so much that you have to keep performing match after match. I am back to my natural game and feel it will help me get back into the reckoning. I played attacking cricket during my tour of England. After missing out on IPL, I have realized that I was curbing my natural instinct to score runs positively,” says Vihari, who was also the member of the 2012 U-19 World Cup winning team.


In the game where the longer format remains the sternest test, Vihari, even after passing it with flying colours, paid the price and was not considered suitable for the shorter formats. He, though, is not losing sleep over the missed IPL opportunity, and is focused on the season ahead.


“My game at Sunrisers Hyderabad was designed in such a way that I was asked to play all the overs. I admit that it was mistake on not playing my natural game. Every experience teaches you a new lesson. Although the IPL season went well for me, I realized that curbing my natural game won’t help my cause. Not getting picked in this year IPL made me realise that people think I play too slowly for T20 cricket. I don’t want to prove anything to anyone but play my natural cricket,” says Vihari.


There was a visible difference in the physique of the youngster who was very lean last year. Deliberate effort to beef up a bit, Vihari says, “I wanted to be stronger and feel confident that I can clear the field. There’s no point playing aggressive cricket if you don’t have the power to clear the ropes. I think now I have more strength, ideas and technique to clear the ropes more often.”


During his first Indian hit after the IPL snub, Vihari made a statement with the rate he scored his runs at. When he returns to the domestic circuit later this year, he would hope to lose the tag boring tag and earn some money in the upcoming edition of the IPL.


0 comments for "From boring to attractive: Hanuma Vihari makes a statement"

Leave Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Feed!

Technology

RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!